2014 Andersonville Toy Drive for Care For Real

The Andersonville community is excited to support a great local organization making a real impact on families in our area!

Care For Real, the Edgewater food pantry, provides food (for people and pets!), clothing and counseling services to those in need in the Edgewater area.  This holiday season, they are seeking toys and gifts in support of their annual toy drive.  Last year, Care for Real distributed more than 2,000 toys to over 800 children, helping 350 families have a more joyous holiday season.  65% of these children were under the age of 12, and the other 35% were 13-17 years old.

The Andersonville Toy Drive for Care For Real begins on Saturday, November 22 during St. Morten’s Gos Day, the quirky kick-off to the holiday season in the Andersonville neighborhood, and there are many opportunities for Andersonville and Edgewater residents and businesses to lend a hand toward this great effort!

TOY DROP OFF
Starting this day, you can drop off toys at three local businesses and get cool stuff as a thank you!  The businesses are:

Toys can also be dropped off at the 48th Ward Alderman Harry Osterman’s office at 5533 N. Broadway during their regular business hours. Toys will be collected through Monday, December 15th.

SHOP LOCAL & DOUBLE YOUR DONATION
In addition, for each toy that you purchase and leave at Toys Et Cetera, 5311 N. Clark, they will donate a new toy to the drive!

GREAT HOLIDAY EVENTS
Friday, December 5 is Late Night Andersonville, when many Andersonville stores and restaurants will stay open late and offer great savings on distinctive holiday gifts, plus offer refreshments and entertainment.  It is a great time to buy gifts for the Toy Drive, with 10% off at Toys Et Cetera and discounts at other kid-friendly spots like Women & Children First, the Red Balloon Co., and Green Genes!

Returning to Ebenezer Lutheran Church in Andersonville, Windy City Gay Chorus and Windy City Treble Quire’s 36th annual holiday concert, “Don We Now…” will be a unique musical treat. Windy City Performing Arts will be collecting toy donations during their two performances on Saturday, December 6th at 5:00 pm and 8:00 pm.  For tickets and more information, visit windycitysings.org.

On Saturday, December 13th, be on the lookout for a special Pack The Car: Toy Edition!   Pack The Car is a grass roots effort started to offer a more convenient method to donate food and clothing for local community support groups. From 9:00 am – 12:00 noon, on the northeast corner of Clark & Berwyn, bring your toy donations for Care For Real and literally pack a car full of goodies!

Also on Saturday, December 13th at the Swedish American Museum, 5211 N. Clark, celebrates the St. Lucia Festival of Lights with a candlelit, carol-filled procession followed by singing and treats.  Admission is $1 or a canned food item for Care For Real, OR this year bring a toy for the toy drive!  The festivities begin at sundown at approximately 4:45 pm.

 WHAT IS NEEDED?
Would you like to support Care For Real but are not sure what to buy?  See below for suggestions of the most needed items.
FOR CHILDREN:  Board games, dolls, stuffed animals, matchbox cars, videos, video games, movies, backpacks, Legos, puzzles, paint sets, anything hobby, craft and arts related.
FOR TEENS: Gift cards and gift certificates, games, sports items: basketballs, baseball caps and gloves, backpacks, jewelry & accessories, purses, video games, backpacks, movie, music, make-up, movie passes, tickets to events (theater, sports, concerts).
STOCKING STUFFERS:  gloves, mittens, caps and hats, scarves and personal care items (shampoo, toothbrush, toothpaste, body wash, soap, etc.)
Toys should be new and unwrapped to allow parents to choose the most appropriate gifts for the child.

 SPONSORS & THANK YOUS
The Andersonville Toy Drive for Care For Real is generously sponsored by the Andersonville Chamber of Commerce, Toys Et Cetera and the Edgeville Buzz.

For more information about the Andersonville Toy Drive for Care For Real, contact Jason Cox at jcox@andersonville.org or 773-728-2995 x102