The Andersonville Chamber is excited to support a great local organization making a real difference for families in our community!
Care for Real, Edgewater’s food pantry, provides food (for people and pets!), clothing, and counseling services to those in need in the Edgewater area. This holiday season, they are seeking new, unwrapped toys and gifts in support of their annual drive and distribution. Last year, Care for Real distributed more than 4,000 toys to over 800 children, helping 350 families have a more joyous holiday season. 65% of these children were under the age of 12, and the other 35% were 13-17 years old.
SHOP LOCAL AND DOUBLE YOUR DONATION!
For each toy that you purchase and leave at Toys Et Cetera, 5311 N. Clark, they will donate a new toy to the drive!
TOY DROP-OFF LOCATIONS
Starting on Saturday, November 21, you can drop off toys at five local businesses:
- The Coffee Studio, 5628 N. Clark – drop off a toy and get a free gingerbread man cookie!
- Foursided Custom Framing Gallery, 5061 N. Clark – drop off a toy and get a free ornament!
- George’s Ice Cream & Sweets, 5306 N. Clark – drop off a toy and get a free scoop of ice cream!
- The Runner’s Edge, 5243 N Clark – drop off a toy and get a small gift!
- Toys Et Cetera, 5311 N. Clark – double your gift by purchasing your donated toy at Toys Et Cetera!
Toys may also be dropped off at the 48th Ward office at 5533 N. Broadway during their regular business hours.
(These locations will all collect toys through Monday, December 21st.)
DONATE TOYS AT THESE GREAT HOLIDAY EVENTS
Friday, December 4 is Late Night Andersonville, and Friday, December 18 is Late-er Night Andersonville, when many Andersonville stores and restaurants will stay open until 10pm and offer great savings on distinctive holiday gifts, plus free refreshments and entertainment. Andersonville’s Late Night shopping events are a great time to buy gifts for the Toy Drive, with 10% off at Toys Et Cetera on all of your purchases, as well as discounts and enhancements at many other retailers. If you drop off a toy at The Runner’s Edge during Late or Late-er Night Andersonville, you’ll receive a $20 gift card or shopping certificate with a purchase of $50 or more.
On Saturday morning, December 12th, be on the lookout for a special Pack The Car: Toy Edition! Pack The Car is a seven-year-old grassroots effort that offers a convenient method to donate food and clothing for local community support groups. From 9:00 am to 12:00 noon, on the northeast corner of Clark & Berwyn, bring your toy donations for Care For Real, and help to pack a car full for this drive!
On Sunday, December 13th at the Swedish American Museum, 5211 N. Clark, celebrate the St. Lucia Festival of Lights with a candlelit, carol-filled procession followed by singing and treats. Admission is $1, a canned food item, or a toy for the toy drive, all collected for Care For Real! The festivities begin at 4:45pm.
WHAT IS NEEDED?
Are you not sure what to buy? Here are suggestions of the most needed items:
- FOR CHILDREN: Board games, matchbox cars, videos, video games, movies, backpacks, Legos, puzzles, paint sets, anything hobby, craft and arts related.
- FOR TEENS: Gift cards and gift certificates, games, jewelry & accessories, video games, backpacks, movies, music, make-up, movie passes, tickets to events (theater, sports, concerts).
- STOCKING STUFFERS: gloves, mittens, caps and hats, scarves and personal care items (shampoo, toothbrushes, toothpaste, body wash, soap, etc.)
Toys should be new and unwrapped to allow parents to choose the most appropriate gifts for their children.