This week, we chat with Rick Verkler, the General Manager of The Guesthouse Hotel (4872 N Clark). The Guesthouse offers affordably luxurious one, two, and three bedroom vacation condominiums designed to feel like home away from home. Rick divulges on what it’s like to meet a vast array of Andersonville dogs, hunting for handmade artisans around the neighborhood and Chicago, and how the hotel staff is preparing for this year’s Andersonville Wine Walk!
“You can’t learn hospitality. Either you have it or you don’t, and you have to like taking care of people.”
– Rick Verkler
Listen to Episode 6 with Rick Verkler!
Here are some of Rick’s references from Episode 6 that you may want to check out:
- The hotel was opened in 2008 as the “Andersonville Guesthouse,” an adventurous 10-unit vacation rental, and direct response to the housing market crash by Dave Krug and his wife Simona. Learn more about them here!
- The Guesthouse is unique in the way that their suites are set up. These large condos are rented out in the fashion of a hotel, but they are handcrafted and made to make you feel at home and just like one of the locals. Guests even have a full access kitchen, and in November, many have even been known to host Thanksgiving dinner! Check out the rooms here
- Guesthouse staff are available 24/7 to make sure that all guests get the exact experience they are looking for. Check out their neighborhood highlights
- The hotel is available to rent for events such as boutique smaller weddings, corporate mixers, meetings and more, and the roof deck is especially popular! They even offer afternoon tea in the lobby. Learn more about their event options.
- The Guesthouse Hotel features several amenities open to their guests, such as a business conference room/library, a gym, a rooftop deck and more! To see all their amenities, visit here.
- Rick had a great time helping put together the self-guided walking tour of the artwork in the Guesthouse Hotel. Make sure to grab the handout next time you stop by, and check out artwork from Wrigley Field, historical buildings around Chicago and more.
- One of Rick’s favorite rooms in the Guesthouse is the first floor library, which is filled with inherited books from Dave’s father.
- The Guesthouse hosts several local handmade creators and local vendors in their hotel boutique.
- The Guesthouse is pet-friendly! Feel free to bring your pup for your stay, or just during your regular walk around the block. The Guesthouse happily provides a bowl of treats for our four-legged friends in the lobby. There are even dog beds available for the rooms!
- Rick is excited about the return of Andersonville Wine Walk on Sunday, May 20 because this is the first year the Guesthouse is able to curate their own wine selection; all wines are available for sale now at the hotel!
- Rick would trade places with Candyality (5225 N Clark) for the day if given the chance!