#Always Andersonville: The Podcast – Show Notes from Episode 117 with Nancye Rivera of Plus Bookkeeping Services

This week, Laura and Joelle are joined by Nancye Rivera, owner of Plus Bookkeeping Services, where the goal is to help small businesses understand their financials and use them as a planning tool to grow their business. Tune in for an inspiring and motivational conversation with Nancye all about planning for success, even in the middle of a pandemic.

Nancye Rivera, owner of Plus Bookkeeping Services

Nancye Rivera, owner of Plus Bookkeeping Services

“Plus means to add value and advantage, and that’s what I want to do for my clients.” – Nancye Rivera

Listen to Episode 117 with Nancye Rivera!

Top podcast highlights, and where to find them (by timestamp):

  • 0:50 –  Nancye remarks on why Chambers of Commerce have proven to be very resourceful for her business
  • 1:30  – Nancye shares with us her background, why she chose to go the bookkeeping route vs. the accounting route (she thinks accounting is a little too dry.)
  • 3:45 – Nancye comments on the importance of entrepreneurship and her observation that the younger generation is starting businesses earlier than her generation.
  • 5:40 – What to expect when working with Nancye as a first-time client 
Listen in at the 12:28 mark of this episode for a helpful formula on saving money.

Listen in at the 12:28 mark of this episode for a helpful formula on saving money.

  • 8:10 – Nanyce explains to us her financial coaching services and talks about the importance of  understanding how money is coming in and out.
  • 10:15 – Have a savings account! Nancye’s advice is to have at least 6 months worth of business expenses in your business savings.
  • 12:28 – Tune in here for a formula on successfully saving money!
  • 13:25 – Nancye discusses how her has business has changed and grown with COVID, and gives advice on doing new business and having financials in order.
  • 18:00 – We discuss Nancye’s Latin American clientele and she shares a informative story about a local tamale seller she frequents. 

“It’s a thrill and a privilege  for me to speak the language of finance in Spanish.” 

  • 22:00 – What is the 80/20 formula? Any business should be 80% marketing and 20% operations. Nancye recommends a book called E-Myth by Michael Gerber.
  • 23:30 – Nancye discusses small business pitfalls, including making sure to set up a separate checking account for your small business 
  • 28:00 – We ask Nancye about the difference between individual filing, small businesses filing and freelancer filing. Learn why you should pay your taxes quarterly!
  • 30:00 – Rapid fire questions! Nancye’s first job was a paper route, but her first job in the industry was with a CPA who was also an attorney for small businesses in San Francisco while working on her Master’s at Golden Gate University.
  • 32:40: Nancye reflects on her mentors and coaches and who has influenced her over the years. 

    “A mentor is  someone who you can be very candid with and someone who can put you back on track, and that’s so important.” 

  • 34:25: New hobbies during the pandemic: Adding more value to her clients! Nancye has worked on her Marketing skills and QuickBooks during COVID. She does weekly training on QuickBooks and wants to be considered a “QuickBooks Master.”
  • 35:30: Free marketing tools recommended by Nancye: Canva and MailChimp – Everyone MUST have a database.
  • 38:00 – If she weren’t a bookkeeper, Nancye would have aspirations to be a full-time writer or teacher. 
  • 38:50: Nancye has goals, and in 4 years, she has another plan to follow her dreams! 

    “Focus requires time to think. Only 5% of the population things and the other 95% would rather die than take the time to think.” 

  • 40:35: Nancye reflects that people don’t know what they want. They haven’t taken the time to tap into their soul and desires and figure out what they truly want.

“We only live once, so it’s just so important to do what you want to do.” 

Follow Nancye and Plus Bookkeeping Services on the following platforms:
Online: plusbookkeepingservices.com
Facebook: facebook.com/PlusBookkeepingServicesInc
Twitter: @nancyefrivera
LinkedIn: linkedin.com/in/nancyer