The newly redesigned 2018-19 edition of the Andersonville Neighborhood Guide is launching next week, and we are very excited to share it with the community and beyond! This week on the podcast, we sat down with one of the members of our guide design team, freelance photographer Mike Rivera, to discuss his pathway to photography and what it was like to photograph over 20 of our businesses for this very special publication.
“If you could describe a neighborhood, you would describe it by the people who live there…this was the spirit of Andersonville.”
– Mike Rivera
Listen to Episode 10 with Mike Rivera!
Here are some of the references from Episode 10 that you may want to check out:
- We were originally connected to Mike through mutual colleagues from Uptown United. Mike photographed the Uptown neighborhood for both their 2018 guide, as well as for North Magazine.
- Over the course of photographing businesses for us, Mike had the chance to meet and hear the stories of over 20 of our business owners. We asked him which stories stuck out, and he mentions a specific conversation with Scott Martin, owner of Svea Restaurant (5236 N. Clark) and Simon’s Tavern (5210 N. Clark) , in which we learned a lot of history and saw many artifacts from Andersonville’s early days.
- One of Mike’s professional influencers in Chicago has been Chris Walker. He’s the longest running tenured photojournalist at the Chicago Tribune.
- Mike’s current photography show is on display at District Chicago called No Humans Around. Our new guide even reflects one of these types of photographs with the cover shot of the up close Water Tower!
- Spoiler alert: Mike would trade places with ALL of the businesses in Andersonville!
“I’m just trying to be as honest as I can with what I see.”
– Mike Rivera
Mike is one of several creatives behind the brand new Neighborhood Guide: we hope to have graphic designer Michael Newman of estudiotres on the podcast in the coming months, and we also used beautiful Midsommarfest photography by Starbelly Studios. Our local printer, Fisheye Graphic Services, INC., was the mastermind behind bringing the digital form to printed reality!
To request a mailed copy of the 2018-19 Andersonville Neighborhood Guide, please fill out our request form, or plan to pick one up in person at Midsommarfest, June 8-10 from the Andersonville Chamber booth!