In our third of four episodes this week previewing Andersonville Midsommarfest (June 8-10, 2018), we speak with candle creators Mark Towns and Stephen Pearlman, the duo behind our local favorite, Edgewater Candles. With scents like Cedar Lavender, Tobacco Tonka, and the ever-popular Fraser Fir during the winter months, these soy wax candles will warm up any office, home or studio. You can currently find Edgewater Candles stocked at Foursided in Andersonville (5061 N. Clark), at many markets around Chicago, at this weekend’s Midsommarfest, and at the Andersonville Farmers Market this season.
“I try to pour 108 candles before bed each night. Sometimes I make it and sometimes I don’t, but it’s a good goal.”
– Mark Towns
Listen to Episode 12.3 with Mark and Stephen!
Here are some of the references from Episode 12.3 that you may want to check out:
- Mark and Stephen weren’t always candle makers. Mark used to do typewriter repair, sales & service, and both are big fans of making their own electronic music. Learn more about them in a recent Chicago Tribune feature.
- The logo was designed by Stephen and the brand was adopted based on Mark and Stephen’s residency in the Edgewater neighborhood. The logo mimics the shape of a mason jar. Check out this cool video of Stephen replicating the logo in chalk!
- Candle fragrance matures in about 2 weeks – who knew! Check out other fun Edgewater Candle FAQs
- Mark and Stephen have a very busy schedule ahead for this summer. This year, they anticipate over 70 shows (!) with at least ⅓ of them this summer – view their calendar of events
- Mark talks about their new live/work space which is being developed especially for creatives. Check out the video on its progress! They hope to offer classes, workshops, host parties, and offer consultations
“Right now we have a factory shoved into our apartment, and soon we’ll have a little tiny apartment shoved in the back of a factory.”
– Edgewater Candles
- Edgewater Candles collaborated with Jenny of Three Letter Birds for their limited edition champagne candle label, and hope to do more label collaborations in the future
- Laura mentions the Tomato Leaf candle as a fan favorite at the Andersonville Farmers Market – Edgewater Candles offers different seasonal selections throughout the year
- Edgewater Candles developed their Woodsmoke candle specifically off a request from shop Strange Lovely, and it has since developed into one of their most popular scents
- Cedar Lavender, to date, is the most popular scent that Edgewater Candles currently sells
- If given the chance to trade places with Andersonville businesses for a day, Mark would choose either Foursided (5061 N. Clark) or Hopleaf (5148 N. Clark), and Stephen concurs! Speaking of Hopleaf, they are one of Stephen’s favorite restaurants in Chicago because of their seasonal and extensive vegetarian menu.
Find Mark and Stephen this weekend at Midsommarfest between Summerdale and Balmoral on the East side of Clark right by Calo Ristorante (5343 N. Clark). They are also one of the select vendors coming out to our new Open Streets block party on Friday night June 8 as well!