In this week’s episode, Laura and Sara chat with Hallie Borden, owner of Milk Handmade and Honey Bridal located next door to each other at 5137 and 5135 N. Clark. Since 2012, Milk Handmade has been a destination women’s boutique that specializes in merchandise from local and independent designers and features not only apparel, but one-of-a-kind jewelry, accessories, soaps and candles.
“I think it’s important to support the people in your backyard if you want to keep living in a place with these type of businesses.”
Listen to Episode 13 with Hallie Borden!
Here are some of the references from Episode 13 that you may want to check out:
- Hallie used to work in business to business data consulting and was frustrated by the daily office routine and needed more of a creative outlet, so she moved ahead to open Milk Handmade in 2012.
- When Hallie settled the concept of Milk Handmade, she didn’t even consider opening anywhere else but Andersonville because this neighborhood had the right vibe and demographic. She moved here one year after opening the shop!
- Milk Handmade is named after Borden Dairy and Hallie used to have several milk crates featured in the shop!
- Hallie carries mostly local designers at Milk. She specifically mentions Michelle Starbuck Designs as the first jewelry she carried in shop and clothing designer, Suki & Solaine.
- Last year, Hallie opened Honey Bridal with her sister Dana with the goal of allowing brides to really be themselves in a comfortable environment. View the designers they carry here.
- Hallie likes to visit Hopleaf (5148 N. Clark), Vincent (1475 W. Balmoral), Bar Roma (5101 N. Clark) or Anteprima (5316 N. Clark) after a good day in the shop to spend her money locally, and then those businesses in turn are cycling the money back through the community as well
- Sauvie is Hallie’s 10 year old retired greyhound, the “gentle giant” who hangs out at Milk Handmade on the couch in the back of the shop.
- Hallie is a strong believer of letting her customers see both her personality and Milk’s products together on social media, particularly on her Instagram
- Hallie has Janelle Monae’s recent album on repeat right now and is a big lover of muisc and concerts overall
- If given the chance to switch places with another business owner in Andersonville for the day, Hallie would want to trade places with Larry at Scout (5221 N. Clark)
Hallie’s own clothing label for Milk Handmade will launch this Thursday, June 14 at the Milk and Honey anniversary party! Click here for the details
Visit Milk Handmade and Honey Bridal on the following platforms:
Online: milkhandmade.com | honey-bridal.com
Facebook: facebook.com/MilkHandmade | facebook.com/honeybridalchicago
Instagram: @milkhandmade | @honeybridalchicago
Twitter: @MilkChicago | @honey_bridal