In this episode, Laura and Joelle are joined by Kris Jackson, Trevor Dowd and Austin Halter of CBD Kratom. With locations in Chicago, St. Louis, L.A. and Texas, CBD Kratom is a one-stop shop for CBD oils and edibles, hemp products, and over 45 various strains of Kratom. Kratom can help relieve pain, enhance mood, and increase focus. You can find the largest selection of CBD and Kratom products in the Midwest and more in Andersonville at 5303 N. Clark.
“We hear back from our regular customers that the environment in the Andersonville location is absolutely brightening.”
– Austin Halter
Listen to Episode 63.2 with CBD Kratom!
Here are some references from Episode 63.2 you may want to check out:
- First, a few introductions:
- Trevor has been living in Chicago for seven years. He initially came to the city to pursue improv and comedy; he took classes at The Second City and worked at iO theatre for a while. He also worked a variety of odd jobs, including serving at restaurants and walking dogs. He started at CBD Kratom in January of 2017, and has been with the company ever since.
- Austin moved to the city two and a half years ago to pursue an acting career. About a year into his time in Chicago, he picked up a job at CBD and is currently working as the Andersonville store manager. This job has allowed him to broaden his public speaking ability, as well as get to know more people in the area.
- Kris is the General Manager of all the Chicago area CBD Kratom stores. Having previously lived in Oregon and Montana and working a variety of jobs (including a brief stint at TopGolf), Kris settled down here in June and stumbled upon an opening at CBD when trying to find the product for his wife. He applied and now oversees all of the stores in the area, including the one that is about to open in Hoffman Estates (1481 W Palatine).
- For our three guests, Andersonville has been an excellent location for CBD Kratom. They all enjoy the small-town feel, the community and relationships they’ve cultivated with their returning customers, and also feel that this is an area of the city that is particularly focused on wellness, which allows them to do well.
- In case you don’t know, there are very subtle – but very important – differences between CBD, kratom, hemp, and marijuana:
- Hemp has 0.3% Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) or less. 0.3% THC is the legal amount allowed in cannabis products. You cannot get a high from hemp. View hemp products here.
- Kratom is an entirely different plant; in fact, it’s more closely related to the coffee tree. The leaves are dried, mixed into room temperature water or juice, and is a bit bitter to taste. Side effects include stimulation, mood enhancement, and other effects depending on the strain. It is a good alternative for people that are addicted to opiates, as it binds to your opioid receptors but does not release dopamine or serotonin chemicals. View kratom products here.
- CBD is an anti-inflammatory remedy that is more of a long-term solution to pain than kratom. It also helps relieve anxiety and depression, assists in sleep, and has other health benefits. View CBD products here.
- CBD Kratom carries a large variety of products including, but not limited to, topicals, oils, tinctures, vapables, bath bombs, gummies, and even treats for your furry friends. Because these products are so varied in strength and purpose, training of new employees take about 30 days. In fact, the majority of their work is educating and informing customers because many people don’t understand what the distinction is or how it can be beneficial.
- For first time customers, the vast selection can be overwhelming, but the staff is friendly (and knowledgeable because of all of their training). If you tell them why you are there – anxiety, joint pain, sleeplessness – they should be able to pair you with the dosage of a product that will be the most helpful.
- Despite the wide variety of offerings, each staff member has a favorite:
- Austin enjoys the BeeZBee caramels. They ease anxiety and muscle tension, along with tasting absolutely delicious.
- Trevor favors the vape cartridges, of which there are four different strengths and three different strains (40mg, 100mg, and 200mg). Recently a tangerine flavor was released; Trevor uses this to help him sleep.
- Kris’s wife’s favorite is the BeeZBee mint tincture; however, he also enjoys the CBD sparkling water, particularly the lemon lime flavor.
- An extremely popular product right now is the line of CBD bath bombs. CBD Kratom carries about 10 different scents including lavender, strawberry and champagne, kiwi, cotton candy, and more. According to the team, after 20-30 minutes soaking in the tub, you’ll feel like a limp noodle.
- Many of CBD Kratom’s products come with very specific instructions for maximum enjoyment. For example: if you get gummy frogs don’t eat all of the frog in one bite. Letting them – or any other edibles – sit and bread down before chewing and swallowing will help the product activate faster and stronger.
- As one may guess from the wide variety of products provided, there is also a wide variety of effects from each product. If you were looking for something to help with concentration and focus, kratom would be best. If you’re looking for something to quiet all of the thoughts in your brain, CBD would be more helpful.
- CBD Kratom usually gets new products once or twice a month – usually new edibles, new flavors, or a new strain of kratom. Soon there will be a new line of topicals available; there is also a variety of beauty products, massage oils, and even a tattoo cream.
- Although you need to be 18 or older to purchase any products at CBD Kratom, you do not need a medical marijuana card to buy from their shops in Chicago. These laws do vary from state to state, though, so be sure to check if visiting an out-of-town location.
- If Austin, Trevor, and Kris could trade with any Andersonville business for a day, they would choose:
- Austin would swap with Transistor (5224 N Clark). The environment is quaint, friendly, and Austin loves the records and general vibe that music stores have.
- Trevor would choose either Graham Crackers Comics (5028 N Clark) because he’s a comic book nerd and loves Funko pop bobbleheads (his favorite is Teenage Groot with Stormbreaker and a gold Loki) or Jameson Loves Danger (5208 N Clark) because he gets his cat’s food there.
- Because of his restaurant background and love for Italian food, Kris would spend the day at Calo Ristorante (5343 N Clark). He loves their pepperoni deep dish – and adds green olives if he feels wild.