Sustainable Business Merit Badge Program
The Sustainable Business Merit Badge program springs from the valuable insights and best practices acquired after five years of implementing the eco-Andersonville Sustainable Business Certification. With the intent of honing the certification to its most impactful requirements, eco-Andersonville is now launching in its place a more nimble merit badge based program, better equipped to engage Andersonville’s diverse business community on the benefits of adopting a “Triple Bottom Line” ethic.
The merit badge program will recognize businesses for individual achievement in one of five different categories:
- Water Conservation
- Energy Conservation
- Waste Reduction
- Sustainable Transportation
- Locally Owned
Each area of focus will include a list of several different requirements that must be completed before the business can receive a particular badge. In some cases there will be one or two actions that require a larger financial or time commitment from a business, such as an LED retrofit or installing a bike corral. In these instances, completion of that requirement(s) – noted in bold on the checklist -will entitle the business to that particular badge.
Acquired merit badges will come in the form of window clings or a wall mounting for behind a counter.
Benefits of the merit badge program
- Businesses will be recognized for individual actions in as many as five categories.
- Businesses at varying levels of implementing sustainability measures can be recognized.
- Increases the visibility of actions taken by businesses and provides more information to visiting patrons and customers.
- Participating businesses will be able to take advantage of one-on-one technical assistance for specific requirements.
- Participating businesses can be recognized for their achieved merit badges on www.andersonville.org.
- INSTALL DUAL FLUSH RETROFIT KITS OR DUAL FLUSH FIXTURES FOR ALL BATHROOM FACILITIES
- INSTALL AERATORS FOR ALL APPLICABLE FAUCETS AND FIXTURES
- INSTALL MOTION SENSOR FIXTURES FOR BATHROOM FAUCETS
- INSTALL HIGH-EFFICIENCY SPRAY VALVES FOR KITCHEN AND DISHWASHING SINKS
- ELIMINATE ALL TOXIC OR HAZARDOUS CLEANING PRODUCTS
- USE ONLY LED LIGHTING FOR SPACE VISIBLE TO THE PUBLIC AND A MINIMUM OF CFL AND/OR T-8 FLUORESCENT LIGHTING FOR SPACE NOT VISIBLE TO THE PUBLIC
- CONVERT ALL NON-ACCENT LIGHTING TO MINIMUM OF CFL
- INSTALL MOTION SENSORS FOR ANY APPLICABLE LIGHTING
- ESTABLISH A RECYCLING PROGRAM FOR PAPER, GLASS, PLASTIC AND ALUMIMUM
- PARTICIPATE IN A COMMERCIAL COMPOST PROGRAM
- ELIMINATE USE OF ALL POLYSTYRENE, STYRO FOAM, AND PLASTIC #6
- ELIMINATE USE OF PLASTIC BAGS OR INCENTIVIZE REUSABLE BAGS
- USE HIGH-RECYCLED-CONTENT PAPER PRODUCTS OR COMPOSTABLE PRODUCTS WHEREVER POSSIBLE
- INSTALL ADDITIONAL BIKE PARKING OR A BIKE CORRAL FOR CUSTOMERS AND EMPLOYEES
- ENROLL IN PRE-TAX CTA TRANSIT BENEFITS PROGRAM FOR EMPLOYEES
- SUPPORT THE ACTIVE TRANSPORTATION ALLIANCE OR OTHER TRANSIT ADVOCACY GROUPS
- BUSINESS IS LOCALLY OWNED AND INDEPENDENT
- BUSINESS OWNERS WITH A CONTROLLING INTEREST OF MORE THAN 50% LIVE WITHIN THE CITY OF CHICAGO OR WITHIN TEN MILES OF ANDERSONVILLE
- BUSINESS IS PRIVATELY HELD AND HAS NO CORPORATE OR NATIONAL HEADQUARTERS OUTSIDE OF THE STATE
- BUSINESS OWNERS ARE FREE TO MAKE INDEPENDENT DECISIONS REGARDING THE BUSINESS NAME, BRANDING, PURCHASING, PRACTICES AND DISTRIBUTION
To learn more about the Sustainable Business Merit Badge Program or to apply for a badge please contact:
Michael Ashkenasi, Director of Sustainability Programs,